Thursday, March 20, 2014

A to Z challenge theme reveal

I originally started this blog by dedicating it to that part of myself that had been hushed up, stuffed down, and discriminated against; proclaiming the empowerment of my voice.  Speaking my truth has, until recently, been a difficult task for me, mainly due to my upbringing.   

I was raised in Georgia and brought up in the Mormon church. Oh, and did I forget to mention that I am a lesbian; a southern Mormon lesbian  a great combination. I have worked hard all my life at recovering from the ever damaging effects of organized religion, the implications of being a woman in the Bible belt and reclaiming my truth and voice.

With so many struggling with their own sexuality and what that means in the world today, I cannot continue being silent any longer and hiding behind the fact that I can pass for a straight girl.  When I am asked what I did to make the world a better place, I can say I helped people understand that it’s OK to be you.

So, after much prodding, I am finally writing my memoir and hopefully helping those struggling with coming out.  This A to Z challenge is my way of pushing myself to continue empowering my voice and write this book.  My A to Z challenge theme is growing up and coming to terms with my sexuality.  

13 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading more during the challenge. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an awesome theme! I can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic for a theme! I'm sure there will be others who can relate to some aspects of your journey, and I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about you during the month of April. Thanks for putting yourself out there! -- marci at Fuzzy Undertones (marcilicious.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, It can be a scary thing to put yourself out there. My hope is that my story will help others along the way.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you are using your voice now and writing your stories! I look forward to seeing your posts for the A to Z challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am finally writing my story, after much prodding from my partner.

      Delete
  5. Big challenge...great theme! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great theme! Looking forward to reading about it Christie and getting to know you better in that way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I very much appreciate the support!

      Delete
  7. A tough topic - bringing out your voice. I salute you and give my encouragement. I think all of us have been hushed and quieted and have been out of place in one way or another, some bigger ways than others. That is the great thing about our existence, we may all have a different experience, but we are all together in this great journey we call life! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, I appreciate the support! It is a tough topic but sometimes the toughest of topics have the biggest rewards. These conversions about differences need to be shared,so that young people know it does get better. After all if we were all the same how would we grow as an individual or as a society.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW. Seriously, just WOW. Your opening sentence could easily have been mine, as I've written similarly on my own blog. While I do not share your sexuality issues, I completely empathize with your plight, and understand how it feels to be shushed by zealous parents. I raise my voice with you and am holding your hand in the fight for equality. This is such a great theme -- the best and most important I've come across thus far, and I am really looking forward to reading your thoughts on all of this. Thanks for tackling it!

    I'm participating in AtoZ, as well. My topic is much more frivolous than yours: I'm concentrating on writing in general and my current work-in-progress in particular. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your blog continues to help you find yourself. Good luck with the challenge - in every sense!
    Jemima
    #TeamDamyanti
    Blogging from Alpha to Zulu in April!

    ReplyDelete