Thursday, April 24, 2014

U is for Unemployment

Unemployment, what can I say, the word its self creates fear and unease.  

In late February of this year, I was eagerly awaiting my internship to begin and still unsure how I was going to manage working full time in a high stress job and interning as an addiction counselor. 

Truth is I did not want to work and do my internship,

I was miserable at my job, I dreaded Monday on Thursday. I believe I was miserable because I knew it was not where I was supposed to be. 

So, the week my internship was to start, I was laid off from my job, although I was in shock for a week or so, I knew I was going to be taken care of because I was meant to get the most out of this internship.  

It has been 10 weeks and working at an agency that helps women with addiction and homelessness has been the most rewarding experience.  I teach these women life skills that they my otherwise not had, such as self esteem and self worth.  

After doing this internship, I have realized that I cannot go back to the work I was doing before.  


That realization is big, because doing what is familiar, is safe, holding on to the belief and faith that I will be in the right place and time for a new job in the human services field is drastically different from my inherent way of taking the safe path.  


No comments:

Post a Comment